Crisp and Creamy Latkes
- 2 russet potatoes
- 1 large cooking onion
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup rice flour or AP flour
- 1/2 tablespoon All Purpose flour (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- oil for frying- I used vegetable oil
- Cut 1 potato and onion into smaller pieces.
- Place pieces in blender (if you have a vitamix) or food processor.
- Blend into puree with egg, salt, baking powder, flours.
- Pour into a bowl and fold in pepper and scallions.
- Grate remaining potato with a medium microplane grater. It will take a while-sorry!
- Next, mix potato shreds into the puree mixture.
- Heat oil over medium to medium-high heat in a large skillet.
- Drop around a tablespoon into the hot oil to form latkes, being careful not to crowd the pan.
- Flip when edges become a deep golden brown.
- When both sides are completely brown, remove latkes to drain on paper towels.
- Keep warm in a 250 degree oven, if not serving immediately.
- Serve with sour cream and/or applesauce.