- 2 medium-large russet potatoes, do not peel
- 1 large cooking onion
- 1 whole egg and 1 egg white
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup unseasoned bread crumbs, matzo meal, or cracker meal
- 1 tablespoon potato starch
- Canola or vegetable oil for frying
- In a food processor, puree 1/2 of 1 potato and 1/2 onion until the texture of thick apple sauce.
- Switch blades to the shredder disk.
- Shred remaining 1 1/2 potatoes.
- Chop remaining onion.
- Put everything into a large mixing bowl.
- Add egg and egg white, salt, pepper, baking powder, bread crumbs, and potato starch.
- Stir well.
- As mixture sits, liquid will collect. Just stir liquid back into mixture before scooping for latkes.
- Heat 1/2 inch oil to 360-375 degrees in a large skillet.
- Scoop about 3 tablespoons latke mixture into oil.
- Do not press down (can gently flatten just the top a bit).
- Let cook until the edges turn a deep golden brown.
- Flip and cook on the other side until browned and crisp all around.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve immediately with apple sauce and/or sour cream.
© 2020 Copyright Lauren Katz