Healthy-ish Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (I used King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour)
- 1 cup oat flour (I blitzed some old fashioned oats in a food processor until very finely ground)
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar (yes, I know this isn't healthy)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice (I love Trader Joe's spice blend!)
- 1 cup pure pumpkin purée (Libby's is fine)
- 1/2 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips + extra for the tops, if desired
- cinnamon sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a muffin tin with 12 paper liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine both flours, brown sugar, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and pumpkin pie spice. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl or large measuring cup, combine the pumpkin, yogurt, applesauce, honey, eggs, and vanilla.
- Stir this wet mixture into the dry mixture.
- Before the mixture completely comes together, stir in the melted butter. ("A little butter never hurt anyone"- my diet motto #2....See, this blog is cathartic and self-illuminating).
- Stir a few more times, just until everything is combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Drop batter carefully into the muffin liners, almost all the way up to the top.
- Sprinkle lightly with cinnamon sugar, and top each muffin with a few additional chocolate chips.
- Bake for 19-21 minutes. Mine took exactly 20 mins.
- Enjoy without too much guilt.